Saturday, August 19, 2006

Kicking off the new season


I played my first competitive football for a number of months today in a friendly for ICC against another first division side, Avendale. Throughout the summer I have struggled with a back problem, but today after 5-6 weeks of chiropractor help and a lot of stretching exercises for my hamstrings, I made it through 45 minutes without any problems whatsoever. In fact I would go as far as to say I am fitter than I have been for the last two years.

I get a lot of stick from the boys for being 32 when most of them are early to mid twenties. I hope to prove to them that I can still cut it and am adamant that I can even be fitter than most of them.

As a team we are going to be truly challenged this year after winning the league and cup double last season. A few of the teams are beginning to take training as seriously as we have for the past two years and have enlarged their squads too. We are now the team to beat and others will raise their game when they play us. Probably the biggest challenge we will face is that if we continue to be succesful we can easily get arrogant and then lose respect from other teams. I hope we can remain humble and respectful of other teams that we play. It may however be a bit early to think about that as we have not played all the other teams yet and do not know what they have been doing to strengthen and improve themselves over the summer. All we can do is keep working hard to improve and do our very best in every game, leaving the rest up to God.

I'm so thankful for the football team, it is such a blessing - not least keeping me physically, mentally, emotionally and even spiritually fit. Thank you Lord that you have brought me to this place with this group of people at this time in my life.

No comments: