Monday, December 18, 2006

If you're going to do something...

I was givin' St Silas big love last night! Their annual carol service was stunning. Dark sanctuary, professionally lit stage, smoke machine, 3 screen display - yes it looked like a proper theater/cinema. The singing was good, the procedings unpretentious, relevant, no in-jokes, good nod to tradition, all cheesey Christianness kicked out the door and a slick professional show presented. And the techie guys did magnificently (we're talking video/CD/Powerpoint all going simulataneously on 3 screens without flaw or failure for an hour and a half) - rah rah the Anglicans in the West! I was not embaressed once (which I was worried about as my mate managed to get 10 [well I counted 11] of his young professional unchurched friends along)!
Whether you were protestant, catholic, non-beliver, traditional or a raving charismatic the producers were right on the mark.
Above that the Christmas message was set out clearly and unashamedly - but relevantly, humbly, professionally and simply. There was extensive coverage of the prophetic passages that point to Jesus, which was good and man, I loved the way the powerpoint was done…it was just so cool and understated. Gadget Vicar also did a great job with a strong emphasis on being a seeker and going to Alpha.
For me, the best thing, and this might sound dreadful, is that I didn't feel embarassed by anything that went on. The person that organised it deserves a medal, or a payrise, or something.

1 comment:

Stuart Blythe said...

Have just read this. sounds absolutely brilliant. Wish I had been there.