Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Living Sacrifice?

"Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship."
Rom 12:1

I shared a devotional thought at a meeting this morning. As I reflected on Romans 12, I asked myself the question: What does it mean in our lives today?
Having recently taken on new responsibility with the student council at college, I had a concern that all the extra activities and events would be draining and time consuming. As I read through the passage, Paul writes about using our spiritual gifts and I realised that we offer our gifts in sacrificial service in order to worship and honour God. I have already realised that by committing my time to serve in this way, God can only bless whatever we are doing. This position has been a real answer to prayer because I have felt a passenger in God's Kingdom for some time now. With no opportunity to use the gift of leadership he has blessed me with, I have on many occasions questioned myself and felt quite underconfident. I was hungry to serve and contribute and He has delivered something quite out of the blue. I am glad of the time of doubting and uncertainty because it humbled me and helped me realise what I was missing. I can now be thankful for the opportunity to serve and offer myself as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God. What is most interesting, is that as I do, the extra time is not in fact draining, it is a joy because I love doing the things I am doing. The opportunity to use our gifts is truly a blessing!

No comments: