Sunday, May 28, 2006

Champion-ees, Champion-ees!


Great news - We won the CUP - WAHEY!!!!!!

The score was ICC 4 - 0 Hope Hall. I was really impressed with Hope Hall. For a team two divisions below us they gave us a really good game and had some good players too. I really appreciated friends and family coming to watch although I was quite disappointed that I didn't get a chance to play.

Because it was a cup final in the Churches League we organised with the other team to pray at the centre circle before the match kicked off. You know, life is really funny sometimes because I remember when I used to tease and make fun of Christians for this kind of thing and there I was yesterday leading both teams in prayer! God's got a great sense of humour:-)

After a season of many injuries, I am looking forward to preparing for next season. We are looking at entering into the Scottish Amateur Cup, which would be a massive challenge for us, but something we need to keep us motivated now we have proven ourselves to be the best team in the league this year. It has also been said on many occasions that it is one thing to win the league, but real champions retain it.

I am hoping that we can be more involved with the college next year. As the body that supports us to be in the league in the first place it would be amazing if we could do a couple of joint events. Perhaps even go there for pie beans and chips after the match! I'm really looking forward to being the team rep to the league next year because I have noticed that this team means so much more to many of the lads than just a game of footie on a Saturday morning. They are a great bunch, yet quite a few of them are a bit lost and I hope I can just be a source of encouragement and support for them as they navigate life's little complexities.

I never thought I would hear myself say this, but bring on pre-season training!

2 comments:

lynn said...

well done Nick!
Now was it the prayer or the pure genius footballing skills that won you that cup??

Scott & Lynn

Anonymous said...

Hey Fletcher. How's it going? I'm so excited about where the team is going next year under your supervision. You are a real star and a gifted leader.
Stu A.