Friday, May 12, 2006

Cycling home from Siberia (via Oz)


I have a friend that has been cyling home from Siberia (click on link at the side) to raise money for a children's charity. His name is Rob, he is a Christian and I got know him when selling books during the summer in England. His latest blog entry was fascinating as he describes his journey through Australia (I know, not exactly on route from Siberia to UK!), but the most interesting comment he made was right at the end:

It has been a very worthwhile experience so far - with over ten
thousand pounds raised for Viva Network and their amazing work with children at risk and a good "University of Life" education for me, but is it worth keeping this up for so much longer... all of us (or at least all of us from wealthy countries)live in prisons of our own making and I am not going to keep cycling just because that was my original stated aim... but, for a number of reasons... I think I will keep riding... we shall see...!

This experience has been part of my spiritual journey. Before I went to Bible college, I felt very trapped by the expectations I had of what type of person I should be and what I should do to be deemed successful. In my time at college, I am finding an amazing amount of freedom to be myself, and to discover what I would most like to do with my life. I only have one of them, it is an incredible blessing and I want to make sure I use it to glorify God and have a significant impact on the lives of other people.

Keep going Rob, I am so inspired by your courage and determination!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

know for sure my friend that you have already had a significant impact on my life - both you and that awesome wife of yours!
i thank God for you both and look forward to working out what he has for our lives as we pray and talk it through more and more.
with love to both the inhabitants of wood street world.