Saturday, May 20, 2006

Mentor or Manager


On Friday in our class on communication skills we looked at different models of mentoring from industry and the church. The class began with being asked: "How would you not liked to be mentored?" At first it was difficult for me to think, which was surprising because I have been blessed with excellent mentors in the past. Then I just started to think about the great mentoring I had received and it was much easier.



I don't want to be given the answers, I want help in finding them
I don't want to be told, I want to be shown
I don't want empty talk, I want integrity
I don't want tasks, I want responsibility
I don't want to be let slide, I want to be held accountable
I don't want someone to pussy foot around, I want someone to tell me like it is.
I don't want to be capped, I want to realise my potential
I don't want to be managed, I want to be lead
Most of all I want someone who challenges me to grow out of a loving concern and commitment to the development of my character and abilities.

The first manager I ever had was an amazing leader. She took an real authentic interest in not only my professional development but my personal development and helped me build character by forming the discipline to do things that felt uncomfortable or a chore. An amazing lesson for a 19 year old. I think that to be an effective mentor you need to practice tough love, because that is the only way that we can be held accountable to grow. As I look through the gospels I see Jesus often being tough with his disciples because he knew they needed preparing for the great commission, but he did it with compassion and concern for their welfare. In Mark 6:7-13 he sent them out to preach, heal and drive out demons, then when they returned he made sure he took them aside to give them a chance to eat and have rest (Mk 6:30-31).

As I look back now I thank God for the way he was working in my life even before I recognised Him as Lord.

No comments: