Friday, May 12, 2006

Daft Supporters


I went to watch Glasgow Warriors play Llanelli Scarlets in the Celtic League tonight at Firhill in Glasgow. I went with a friend and my Dad. It was cool to see my Dad, I really appreciate having the chance to go and do something like that with him as I don't get to see him that much. The only slight problem was that he was wearing his Wales Rugby top proudly and stood out a mile amongst a stand full of passionate Glasgow fans.Even his support wasn't quite enough to spur on the visitors though as Glasgow ran out 17-10 winners, even surviving a late surge from the Scarlets to try and level the game.

I've been to a few football games in Glasgow and you can really notice the difference between the supporters. The rugby fans shout and complain at the referee just as much, but just without the swearing! The best shout of the night though had to be at the Ref (who was wearing a yellow jersey):

"Ref you're wearing the right coloured jersey, you big coward!"

Hilarious! I can't imagine hearing that at Parkhead.

If you have ever watched sport, what is the daftest things you have heard come from the mouth of a supporter?

1 comment:

Coxy said...

Something has to be learnt from these polite rugby fans, I for one never uttered a profanity from the stands.....'-)
I think the banter at a rugby match is a lot better - maybe due to the higher level of education, but instead of 'ref your a t****r' and the like, you get witty responses such as the one you cited!
Glad to see someone else agreeing that rugby is superior (i know you didn't say that, but that's what I saw it as!)